Monday, January 29, 2007

Unexpected experience in the first flight

When I sent my relatives to airport for overseas trip, I imagine how nice in the air or flight. However, it is nonsense if I do not have business to travel by flight. In addition, I do not think that flight would be bad for me.

I was very happy when I received an invitation for an interview of master programmed session. I was happy because I had been waiting for it for two years. I decided to book a return flight from Kota Bharu to Kuala Lumpur. I thought I would not have a problem with my first flight .What is more , my boss gave me only two days holiday. So , to make sure I was rested when I arrived , I decided to go to Kuala Lumpur by air.

With confidence, I drove happily early in the morning to the airport. I did not think to have breakfast first, because I did not expect to have any trouble.
I checked in for an early bird flight, and rushed to the airport. However, I did not allow enough time and reached the airport slightly late. I rushed quickly just to take a curry puff and tea. Then I heard that passengers to Kuala Lumpur must assemble at the departure hall immediately.

This was the first time I had been to the hall. It is not so big but it can be filled with 300 people for a domestic flight. I had to queue patiently to have my ticket check. Waiting for me was a beautiful curly haired flight attendant with her red uniform. All passengers seemed to be moving fast in order to have a few minutes more for departure time.

I walked through the departure hall to the door to the stair to enter into the cabin. I was surprised to meet an old friend who I had not seen for eight years. He asked me where I was going and I told him that I was going for an interview for my master proposal of second-degree research. However unfortunately I did not have a chance to ask him his destination, but I thought that I could ask him when we reached KLIA, or Kuala Lumpur International Airport. At that time, I was very excited because I would be going to one of the most famous airports in the world. I had seen the airport on television, newspaper, or video only. However, in just one hour I would walk through the international airport. I could not wait to go back and tell my family about the marvelous airport.

A few minutes later, I was feeling happy when the engine roared. Suddenly the temperature went very cold for me. At first, I turned to see other passengers. May be a few of them were also this the first time like me. My seat was beside the left wing. I could see the wing on my left. At first when the pilot drove the plane, we could see a few families of the passengers waving goodbye. In the cabin, the flight attendant gave guidance on safety in the plane. She showed how to fasten the seat belt, when and why to do so. Then when the engine started to speed until it took off, I felt something uncomfortable happen to me. My stomach began to reject air and my food. Then I started to use my oil that been prepared by my wife. The oil could relieve airsickness. At first, I do not want to bring it but my wife urged me to bring it. If I had not, I think my health would have become worse. At that time, I felt I was uplifted and saw we faced the sky. I thought the was plane nose up for more than five minutes. In addition, my health was started to give me problems but I tried to peep through the window to see downwards. I could see with my naked eyes for the first time how amazing the world was that I had being living in for 35 years. The nice beautiful colour of scenery with white stripe is still in my memory. I recognized The Tendong Bridge that is the famous and large bridge in my hometown.

To begin with, I massaged my backside to relieve my headache. A few minutes after that there was an announcement .The announcer was the pilot. He described who was he, what’s was the flight speed, the altitude and when we would reach the KLIA. I remember that he was Captain Azhan. The plane was flying at about seven hundred and fifty kilometers an hour and the altitude was ten thousand feet above sea level. During that time, I felt so frightened to hear the flight speed. It was ten times faster than my car speed. Almost all my time in the cabin, I closed my eyes. Maybe the mother beside me thought that I was sleepy and able to sleep in the short trip. Luckily, the flight did not include any meal or beverage. If they had prepared it, I could not eat or drink anything. I remembered about someone had told me that in flight there are many factors can make someone suffer from airsickness. One of them is air pocket, which can happen, in bad weather. When remembered that I became worse but I tried to relax myself. By that time, I smelled an unpleasant smell. It smelled as somebody vomited. They were in the same situation as me but I thank the Almighty I was not like them.

A moment later the pilot said that the flight was ending .We would arrive twenty minutes early. This statement made me happier and slightly eased my pain. The young mother thought that I was having problem, but I ignored her. At least I had not vomited. I know if I am in the situation they are getting to be like me. I think why my situation likes this to me. I remember that I not eat rice as usual .Sometimes I looked through my left window to see the sky. On that time I can feel who we are….just like dust on the road .We have nothing. It teached me that how power Allah is.

Then the flight ended. I rushed to search for the toilet, forgetting to see my friend again. In the toilet, I vomited and wasted all my food. I felt weak and sat near the toilet to rest. After that, I forced myself to look for the taxi or bus but it was a long way to walk. Finally, I reached the driver centre. Luckily, I could get some medicine there. I had a lodging there for that day at the small mosque near the limousine parking area. At first, I asked a few drivers to bring me to the hotel near my interview centre but they told me that it is very expensive with their limousine. They guide me how to go to my interview centre. So I did like what did they told me. No need for me to stay at hotel on the day .I can stay there in the small mosque.

On the next day when I felt a little better, I went to my interview by taxi. Nevertheless, here I still having problem to look for the place because it was unfamiliar to me. It still makes me in trouble. Then I had my interview. After that, I had a rest for a few hours before returning home by flight. Unluckily for me I cannot travel back by plane. So I bought a train ticket to go back home.

I reached home on the next day. Therefore, I wasted my flight ticket. For me it did not matter. It was better than flying home. I think for the first time I can fly one way only!